Collection Operations Basics
This course serve as an introduction to the basics of collecting municipal solid waste and integrated solid waste management. It serves as both a first exposure to new members of the industry and as a refresher for others.
- Identify components of the waste stream
- Understand the various options for recovery and disposal of waste
- Identify proven methods and equipment for the collection of municipal solid waste
- Understand the importance of safe operation in every day collections;
- Answer customer questions and concerns in a positive manner.
Who Should Attend
Collection personnel, front line employees, supervisors, managers, and elected officials who have responsibility for the collection and disposal of municipal solid waste.
The course manual is Collections Operations Basics, produced by the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA). The manual, which serves as an on-the-job reference, is meant to cover common topics applicable to the collection, recovery and disposal of municipal solid waste (MSW). This manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs, tables and examples.
- Integrated Solid Waste Management
- Collection Service Types, Levels and Methods
- Collection Equipment
- Health and Safety
- On-Route Operations
- Customer Satisfaction