Managing MSW Collection Systems
This is a certification course offering 30 CEUs with exam option
Managing Collection Systems addresses the collection of residential solid waste and recyclables from single family and multi-family residences. The course provides information that will assist individuals plan, operate and manage residential solid waste and recyclables collection systems. The course includes a discussion of emerging technology and best practices as reported in the literature and practice. SWANA offers Managing MSW Collection Systems as preparation for the Collection Systems certification exam or as a standalone course.
This course addresses:
- Municipal solid waste design and operation
- Methods, types, and levels of collection services
- Collection equipment types, design and maintenance practices
- Specifications for collection equipment
- The four “proven” collection methods
- Collection vehicle routing guidelines and techniques
- Yard waste, special waste, and commercial waste collection guidelines and techniques
- Collection services organization and management
- Cost accounting practices and collection services financing
- Health and safety programs
- Effective billing practices and customer service program
- Education and community outreach programs
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for collection system owners, operators, managers, system planners, and employees responsible for collection system operations management.
The course consists of lectures, class exercises, and discussion. The text for the course, Managing MSW Collection Systems, is a comprehensive guide with supplemental images, graphs, examples, and exercises. It serves as an on the job reference.