SWANA Excellence Awards
SWANA Excellence Awards Program recognizes outstanding solid waste programs and facilities with environmentally and economically-sound solid waste management practices.
Winners demonstrate effective technologies and processes in system design and operations, worker and community health and safety, and successful public education and outreach programs.
Programs must demonstrate that they are fiscally and environmentally responsible through their compliance with all applicable federal, provincial/territorial, and local regulations.
If you would like to enter an excellence awards submission for an award click here.
Past SWANA Excellence Award Recipients
Congratulations to all our past Excellence Award recipients in Ontario.
2018 Award Winners
- Silver winner of the CEM Tools Excellence Award in the category of Communications, Education and Marketing for their ‘Recycle your Bicycle’ program.
County of Wellington
- Silver winner of the Sustainable Materials Management Excellence Award in the Special Waste Management division for the ‘Mobile Household Hazardous Waste Depot’ initiative.
City of Toronto
- The City of Toronto won awards in every category of the Communication, Education and Marketing Excellence division. The Gold level was awarded for the ‘Mayor’s Towering Challenge’ Education Program and designated as the winner of CEM Technical Division innovation and creativity entry. A Bronze award was chosen for Toronto’s ‘Recycle Right’ Awareness Campaign.
- The ‘Mayor’s Towering Challenge’ initiative was also the winner of the Landfill Gas and Biogas Excellence Awards.
- The Durham York Energy Centre was the Gold winner of the Waste-to-Energy Excellence Award.
City of Hamilton
- Bronze winner in the Communication, Education and Marketing Excellence Awards for the ‘Can You Green Your Routine?’ Awareness Campaign.