SWANA Ontario Scholarships
Apply for industry-related scholarships
SWANA Ontario is proud to offer a variety of scholarships, with the assistance of dedicated partners, to students who are studying in disciplines related to solid waste or environmental protection.
Scholarships are awarded to students who are concentrating on improving and understanding waste practices and systems, with a focus on progressive and sustainable management.
Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarship
The scholarship is to assist and encourage full time students in Canada working towards an undergraduate or post-graduate degree which may lead to a future career in solid waste, recycling or sustainable resource management.
To be eligible to apply for the $5,000 Dillon Consulting Limited Scholarship a student must:
- Be a full time student enrolled in a full course of studies (a four year undergraduate or a post-graduate program) leading to an undergraduate or post-graduate degree at a recognized post-secondary education institution in Canada, and
- Be enrolled in environmental science, engineering, resource management, public policy or other program which could reasonably lead to a career in solid waste management.
The recipient of the scholarship will be determined by a panel of SWANA members representing each of the five Canadian chapters and a representative of Dillon Consulting Limited. Selection will be based on academic achievement, relevance of program and activities to solid waste management and a written submission described in the application form.
Completed applications must be received by the Ontario Chapter of SWANA chapter by May 1, 2022 for consideration of an award for the 2022/2023 school year.
Ontario Chapter Kalun Cliff Chan Graduate Student Scholarship
The Region of Halton, Teresa To, and the Ontario Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) offer a graduate scholarship in memory of Cliff Chan.
Cliff was the Director of Solid Waste Management for the Region of Halton and a Director of the Ontario Chapter of SWANA until his death in November 2000.
Scholarship applications are open for the 2021/2022 school year. Applications will be accepted until October 15. Please send completed applications, accompanied with all the required documentation, to the Ontario Chapter office by clicking here.
Ontario Chapter Undergraduate Scholarship
The Ontario Chapter of the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) offers an undergraduate scholarship to students studying in disciplines related to solid waste management or environmental protection.
Scholarship applications are open for the 2021/2022 school year. Applications will be accepted until October 15, 2021. Please send completed applications, accompanied with all the required documentation, to the Ontario Chapter office by clicking here.
SWANA International Scholarships
SWANA North America has developed several scholarship and internship programs for students studying in fields related to solid waste management, including the Grant H. Flint International Scholarship Program and the Robert P. Stearns/SCS Engineers Scholarship Award.
SWANA Ontario Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to all our past scholarship recipients.
- Sabrina Singh – University of Windsor
- Abigail Owens- Queens University
- Ataollah Babakhani – University of Ottawa
- Hayley Everitt- University of Western Ontario
- Allissa Bartlett- University of Guelph
- Brienne Nelson – University of Guelph
- Allison Elgie – University of Waterloo
- Amanda Lim- University of Waterloo
- Jordan Temple – University of Western Ontario
- Daniel Hosseinlou – University of Ottawa
- Adewale Aromolaran – University of Ottawa
- Callie Churchill – University of Guelph
- Chi Zhang – University of Ottawa
- Robert McDonald – Carleton University
- Courtney Berquist – Carleton University
- Akinwumi Abiodun – University of Ottawa