Landfill Operations Basics (English)
Increase your understanding of landfill operations with this introductory course. This course provides scalehouse operators, equipment operators, spotters, laborers and other key landfill employees with an overview of landfill operations, how they relate to one another and basic health and safety issues.
Spanish version available.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- The role of the sanitary landfill as a component of an integrated solid waste management system
- Key functions and associated processes within landfill operations
- The basics of landfill gas and leachate management and groundwater monitoring
- Essentials of equipment selection, cell construction and litter management
- The fundamentals of accident prevention
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for landfill owners, operators, managers, supervisors/foremen, scalehouse operators, equipment operators, spotters, laborers and other employees responsible for daily landfill operation.
The course manual is Landfill Operations Basics. This manual details the following topics with supplemental images, graphs and examples for participants to discuss and serves as an on-the-job reference resource.
- The Sanitary Landfill in Integrated Solid Waste Management
- Gate Attendant & Scalehouse Operations
- Spotting and Waste Screening
- Equipment Selection and Maintenance
- Cell Construction and Compaction
- Litter Control
- Landfill Safety
- Hard-to-Handle Wastes
- Special Wastes
- Nuisance and Health Issues
- Landfill Gas Generation and Management
- Leachate Production and Management
- Groundwater Monitoring